The ketogenic diet: benefits and disadvantages of such nutrition
Nowadays, the Internet is replete with tempting offers to improve your health or lose weight. The ketogenic diet is one of the most popular diets of our time. So what is it? A panacea for all weight problems or an advertised trend (after all, people tend to love everything new)? Let’s figure it out in this article.
We can explain the mechanism of the ketogenic diet in a few sentences. The human body uses glucose and fatty acids as two sources of energy. Fat, which accumulates in large quantities in the body, accompanies weight gain. The keto diet is high in healthy fat (80%), medium in protein (15%), and low in carbohydrates (5%).
What you can eat
- Poultry meat;
- Fish without limitation in fat content;
- Nuts and seeds (walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds);
- Dairy products (yoghurt, butter, goat cheese, cheddar, mozzarella);
- Vegetables (zucchini, cucumber, tomatoes, avocados);
- Vegetable oil (coconut, olive, sesame, avocado oil).
Not to be consumed
- Bread and bakery;
- Sugar and sweets;
- High starch vegetables (potatoes, corn, pumpkin, peas, sweet potatoes);
- Beans and legumes;
- Cereals (rice, wheat, oats, breakfast cereals);
- Sweet fruits (banana, grapes, dates, persimmons, figs, apricots);
- Sauces and salad dressings.
The keto diet has many benefits
- Fast weight loss;
- Clarity of mind;
- Improved sleep;
- Skin condition improvement;
- Improving memory;
- Stabilization of blood sugar levels;
- Decrease in blood pressure;
- Strengthening the immune system and slowing down biological ageing;
- Reducing anxiety.
Disadvantages of the ketogenic diet
- No fruits (most of them contain a lot of sugar). There are certain low-glycemic fruits such as blueberries, raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries that can be consumed in moderation;
- Poor nutrition;
- Muscle weakness and constant urge to sit or lie down;
- Constant “imaginary hunger” due to low glucose levels;
- The keto cold. It is a condition that closely resembles a viral infection due to the body’s transition to ketosis. It is characterized by mild fever, body aches and weakness.
Based on the reviews, the ketogenic diet is ideal for those who need to get back in shape in a matter of days. Many people who want to keep themselves in good shape has the so-called “keto days” (has a diet 2-3 times a week). May all diets be joyful and bring only positive results.